Earlier in the blog series I pointed out that the clapboard and trim were obtained from Cottle's lumber and wood products. After working with it myself, I can say that it is a great local product. Several cladding options including pre-finished siding could have been an option but at up to $1.89/lf those options were expensive. If you're willing to finish the siding yourself, wood cladding can be an option. Installation will be more expensive than vinyl but that cost can be somewhat offset by the cost of prepping the siding yourself. We used Benjamin Moore Arborcoat exterior water based stain. The color swatches for this product are the same as their paint products. Most manufactures only make stains with muted colors but Benjamin Moore Arborcoat can be mixed in any color. It is an amazingly thick product and coats the wood great with either a brush or a roller. We did two coats front and back. The stain colors were chosen by a representative of The Paint Shop. Personally I think they did a great job choosing the colors. We knew that we wanted a bi-colored building in order to break up the span of a single color. Simply coloring our elevations with colored pencils made it apparent that one color was going to look odd. The red were were aiming for was like some of the reds we had seen in downtown St. John's. Id say that our mission was sucessful. We love the colors.
After the siding was completed the next question was how to caulk the building. There are many opposing views about caulking siding joins online. Many manufactures switch up their methods and recommendations every couple of years. After much research and consulting with Keocan we decided that we would caulk changes of plane ie between siding and trim, between siding and freize boards, etc. Any butt joins were coated in a good coat of latex stain and thats it. Since caulking has very little lateral strength we felt that face caulking a tight joint would infact just lead to more caulking maintenance. tight fitting joints should let in very little water and if some does get in, it will not be trapped by caulking and nature will dry it out.
So here is the exterior...completed! We still have to add a pergola shade structure to the back and a deck but that will come next summer.